Cynthia S. Gillard
Cynthia first joined the firm in 1977 as a paralegal. She subsequently became licensed to practice law in Indiana (1982) and in Michigan (1983). Cynthia advises businesses and their owners regarding business and commercial matters, including business formation, regulation and development, business contracts, mergers and acquisitions, estate and succession planning, employment and labor law and related business and commercial litigation. During her career, she has served as the Chairman of the Board of the Elkhart Chamber of Commerce, the President and a Member of the Indiana State Board of Law Examiners (2000-2010), Chair of the Editing Committee for the Indiana Bar Examination, President of the Elkhart City Bar Association (2013), President of the Elkhart YWCA and the Y’s Future Foundation. She currently serves as a director of First State Bank and the Elkhart Chamber of Commerce.
Ms. Gillard has served as counsel on a wide range of merger and acquisition transactions, such as:
- Representation of Fabwel, Inc. in the sale to ABF Investors
- Representation of management team in purchase of Fabwel, Inc.
- Representation of Fabwel, Inc, in the sale to Fiberboard Corporation
- Representation of Noble Composites, Inc. in the sale to Crane Corp.
- Representation of the Johnson Corporation in the sale to Kadant, Inc.
- Representation of Abercrombie Textiles LLC in the acquisition of Cone Jacquards, LLC
- Representation of IRI Acquisition, Inc. in the acquisition of Indiana Rotomolding, Inc.
- Representation of North East Building Systems in the acquisition of Sun Building Systems, Inc.
- Representation of Jayco, Inc./Highland Ridge RV in the acquisition of assets of Open Range RV
- Representation of Axis Products, Inc. in the acquisition of the Axle Division of LaSalle Bristol Corporation
- Representation of Axis Products, Inc. in the merger transaction with AL-KO Kober Corporation
- Representation of Elkhart Plastics, Inc in the sale to Bonar Plastics USA Holding, Inc.
Publications and Engagements
Ms. Gillard has published articles and lectured on a variety of topics affecting businesses and their owners, such as:
- Protecting Corporate Assets Through Shareholder and Employee Agreements, Elkhart (1992)
- Labor Law for Business Managers, Elkhart Chamber (1993)
- Employment Provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Financial Executive’s Institute (1993)
- Product Distribution and Pricing, Elkhart (1994)
- Selling to an ESOP, Elkhart (1995)
- The Three Faces of Leave: ADA, FMLA and Worker’s Comp., Elkhart (1996)
- Workplace Violence, Elkhart (1998)
- Buying Assets or Stock of Troubled Companies, Elkhart (1998)
- The Dangers of E-Mail and the Internet in the Workplace, APMA Annual Meeting, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (2000)
- Anatomy of a Business Acquisition, Elkhart (2001)
- Protecting Your Trade Secrets, Elkhart (2002)
- Fundamentals of Buying and Selling a Business, Elkhart (2005)
- Estate Planning for Business Owners, Elkhart (2005)
- Michigan Employment Law Update, Three Rivers, MI Chamber of Commerce (2003-2005-2007)
- Top Ten Things for Estate Planning, Elkhart (2009)
- Healthcare Reform for Businesses, Firm Seminar (2010)
- Employment Law Update, Elkhart (2013)
Ms. Gillard published her first novel in 2012, When Vaudeville Came to Joplin, which is a historical tale based upon a 100 year old scrapbook of Vaudeville performers.
July 25, 1954, Oak Park, Illinois
Admission to Bar
Indiana (1982), Michigan (1983)
Kalamazoo College (B.A. Political Science 1976, SIP with Honors)
Indiana University, University of Notre Dame (J.D., 1982); Exec. Dir., Notre Dame Legal Aid & Defender Assn. (1981-82)
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Succession Planning
- Estate Planning
- Business Transactions
- Employment Law
- Real estate
- Elkhart City Bar Association
- State Bar of Indiana
- State Bar of Michigan
- St. Joseph County, Michigan Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State of Indiana (1982)
- State of Michigan (1983)
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western District of Michigan
- United States Tax Court